Sunday, February 28, 2010

"I heard you have been naughty" - Waiting for Nanny McPhee

Nanny McPhee's five rules

1. Go to bed when told(and say please)
2. Get up when told

3. Get dressed when told 
4. Listen(and say thank you)
5. Do as you are told 

Miss Lily likes stories and movies about children who have absent parents, no parents, or distracted parents.  It's weird and I have stopped questioning it.  A wicked stepmother or a nanny plays a prominent role in most of these stories. Except, I suppose in Pippi Longstocking (Pippi deserves her own post - so I will say no more on her today).

One of our favourite nanny films is Nanny McPhee.   Emma Thompson's screenplay is adapted from Christianna Brand's Nurse Matilda stories. Brand was born in British Malaysia.  She wrote the stories based on her grandfather's tales of a family named the Brown family who had very naughty children.

If you haven't seen the first Nanny McPhee (2005) you must. The cast is great (Thompson, Colin Firth, Derek Jacobi and Angela Lansbury - all in the same film!). The child actors are absolutely amazing. The oldest son (Simon) is played by Thomas Sangster, who you remember from Love Actually (one of my favourite Christmas films).   The DVD special features includes interesting interviews about the challenges of casting children.  [Sidebar: I am always blown away by an amazing performance by a child actor, think:  The Piano (1993), Ponette (1996), the Bicycle Thief (1948), the Fox and the Child (2007), Cinema Paradiso (1988), Kiesha Castle Hughes was only 12 in Whale Rider (2002), the child performances in Opal Dream (2005) are superb, a young Dakota Fanning in I am Sam (2001), and I already posted about Shirley Temple here].

Unfortunately, North American release dates for Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang are still being tossed around.  However, a UK release date of March 26th is firm.


The cast includes Emma Thompson (she writes the screenplay and stars), Maggie Gyllenhaal,
Ralph Fiennes, Dame Maggie Smith and RHYS IFANS.  I love Rhys Ifans and have been following his career for years, I think it was that scene in Notting Hill wear he sports the "you are the most beautiful woman in the word" shirt.

You can see the Big Bang trailer on the official UK site .

When you need me, but do not want me, then I will stay. When you want me, but do not need me, then I have to go.  - Nanny McPhee


 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!