Sunday, January 17, 2010

Paint & Potatoes


(Image Via PEI Potatoes)


When I saw that Lotta, the Design Mom, and Todd Oldham were all on the potato{e!} printing kick, I  moved up the medium from my "gotta try someday" list to the "gotta try this weekend list" (you have one those lists, right?). 

Every weekend, I *try* to plan a special creative activity that Miss Lily and I can do together while the little one is napping. 

In anticipation, I picked up these shirts from thrift shoppe around the corner (they look new, but they really are from a thrift shop - $2 each) and the rest of the supplies.



It was surprisingly easy to make the potato stamps



We used this Setacolor fabric paint (Opaque Bengal Pink # 22). In Toronto, you can pick up fabric paint at DeSerres.

And then we got to work


Tip: When you are printing on clothing, put a piece of newsprint between the fabric - the paint does blead through!

{After printing, this particular fabric paint must be cured either with an iron (cotton position), for 5 minutes, on the reverse side of the fabric or in the oven, for 5 minutes at 300°F (300°C).}  

Here's the final product. Sometimes, learning "when to stop" is just as important as "how to do it."


And this


I hope you are having a lovely weekend!  I am linking this one to Skip to My Lou

1 comment:

  1. I bet my daughter would love to do potato prints! very cute and very fun valentines day craft!

    Anne

    FloralShowers.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!