Saturday, January 30, 2010

Bookshelf Makeover

I love pretty papers.  I am always trying to find different ways to incorporate them.  My cousin gave me this old bookshelf.  It was a sorry piece (but solid wood) and desperately needed a design intervention.

I primed and then repainted with two coats of Benjamin Cloud white (semi-gloss) - the paint was left over from another project.  I carefully cut the butterfly paper to size and applied it with Elmer's spray adhesive.  Here is the after:

The shelf is now used in one of the bedrooms to store (part) of the kids' book collection.

The butterfly paper is from Deserres.  They have a wonderful in-store selection. Most are priced at $3-4 per sheet.  Unfortunately, the collection is not online.  The project took just one sheet.

Here are some others papers I like.  Think of the possibilities.



 

The Papersource's collection is vast. Here's what I am eyeing today ....






And finally this Japanese number


Another spin on butterflies - Butterfly Migration

For another inspirational DIY, check out this great ikea hack with paper by Rita.

I am linking this one to Soft Place to Land's DIY day.


I hope you are having a lovely weekend,

4 comments:

  1. Love the shelf! ( love the orange and white and butterfly migration papers too!)... oh to have girls : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I see so many sad looking bookshelves but in good condition, now I know what to do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great. I love how the butterflies add interest. Great Job and thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!